Great Lakes Traditional Sprints
GALADJA RETURNS TO WINNERS CIRCLE
Owendale, MI - 2020 Great Lakes Traditional Sprints Champion, Mike Galadja (Fenton, MI) drives his way into the winners circle in just his 3rd race of the season!.
With 17 cars registered tonight, heat was put in the motors and then cars were lined up for 3 car qualifying/hot laps. When the dust settled (pun intended) Brian Ruhlman (Clark Lake, MI) was the MPD Racing Fast Qualifier with a 14.972 second average lap. The current points leader, Keith Sheffer, Jr (Jerome, MI) and Mike Astrauskas (Pierson, MI) round out the top 3 with a 15.174 and 15.196 second laps.
Galadja wins the Engler Machine & Tool Heat 1, holding off Stevie Irwin (Fenton, OH) and Ruhlman , went 2nd and 3rd, respectively.
Sheffer, wins the Beacon and Bridge Markets Heat 2, with Jim Girard (Manistee, MI) and Jason Ferguson (Fremont, MI) rounding out the top 3.
In the Specialty Fuels & Logistics Heat 3, Astrauskas pulls off the win with Max Frank (Williamston, MI) and Mark Irwin (Columbiaville, MI) round out the top 3.
As Max Frank leads the field of cars out for the PErift Sprint Seris, the cars quickly line up and do a crowd pleasing 4 wide salute to the fans.
As the green flag drops it is an all out sprint (no pun intended) to the turn 1 corner. Entering turn one with a slight edge, Frank and Galadja get thru the turn but Ferguson, who started 8th went high in turn 1 and spun his car bringing out a caution.
Quickly getting Ferguson fired, he went to the tail and we did a full double file restart. With the whole field clearing tturn 1 and getting around the track, Frank was the leader of the pack! Frank held the lead for several laps, before Galadja forced him to relinguish that lead.
As the field finished lap 15, Ian Hunter (Thamesford, ON) caught the infield tire at the bottom of turns 1 and 2, spinning him. But in spectular fashion, Hunter stayed on the peddle trying to keep the car going but instead pulled a wheelie and literally stood his car straight in the air on his tail tank doing a perfect pirouette, then falling backwards upside down and bringing out the red flag. Hunter was a little breathless, but ok and we quickly refired the cars and resumed racing.
Quickly clicking off the next 10 laps, Galadja found enough traction a little higher on the track to keep Frank behind him and landing himself in the winners circle for the first time since June 19th, 2021 at Silver Bullet. Frank finished 2nd with Stevie Irwin, Astrauskas and Sheffer rounding out the top 5.
Our final points race will be at Crystal Motor Speedway, Sunday September 4th on our only visit this year, so don't miss it as we will crown the 2022 Champion!
Thank you to all of our sponsors, fans, tracks and teams that support Great Lakes Traditional Sprints presented by PErfit, without them none of this would be possible. Be sure to follow us on Facebook and Twitter (@GLSprints).
Engine Pro & ARP (Automotive Racing Products)
Hoosier Racing Tires
Engler Machine & Tool
Beacon & Bridge Markets
Specialty Fuels & Logistics
Addvance Heating & Cooling
Media Results for 8/27/2022 at Silver Bullet Speedway - Owendale, MI
410 Sprints - Non-Winged 17 Entries
PErfit A Feature 1 25 Laps | 00:06:38.053
- 00-Mike Galadja; 2. 25-Max Frank; 3. 0-Steve Irwin; 4. 3A-Mike Astrauskas; 5. 86-Keith Sheffer Jr; 6. 49-Brian Ruhlman; 7. 31-Jim Girard; 8. 5X-Trent Musk; 9. 56-Mark Irwin; 10. 33F-Jason Ferguson; 11. 4G-Kent Gardner; 12. 89-Chris Pobanz; 13. 3T-Tank Brakenberry; 14. 26-Dale Hunter; 15. 23-Ralph Brakenberry (16): 16. 13-Ian Hunter DNF; 17. Gary Hayward (17) DNS (DNF)
Engler Machine & Tool Heat 1 8 Laps
- 00-Mike Galadja; 2. 0-Steve Irwin; 3. 49-Brian Ruhlman; 4. 5X-Trent Musk; 5. 89-Chris Pobanz; 6. 23-Ralph Brakenberry; 7. (DNS) 9-Gary Hayward
Beacon & Bridge Markets Heat 2 8 Laps | 00:02:12.616
- 86-Keith Sheffer Jr; 2. 31-Jim Girard; 3. 33F-Jason Ferguson; 4. 4G-Kent Gardner; 5. 13-Ian Hunter
Specialty Fuels & Logistics Heat 3 8 Laps | 00:02:10.401
- 3A-Mike Astrauskas; 2. 25-Max Frank; 3. 56-Mark Irwin; 4. 3T-Tank Brakenberry; 5. 26-Dale Hunter
MPD Racing Qualifying 1 | 00:00:32.957
- 49-Brian Ruhlman, 00:14.972; 2. 86-Keith Sheffer Jr, 00:15.174; 3. 3A-Mike Astrauskas, 00:15.198; 4. 0-Steve Irwin, 00:15.217; 5. 33F-Jason Ferguson, 00:15.302; 6. 25-Max Frank, 00:15.312; 7. 00-Mike Galadja, 00:15.534; 8. 31-Jim Girard, 00:15.680; 9. 26-Dale Hunter, 00:15.753; 10. 89-Chris Pobanz, 00:15.760; 11. 13-Ian Hunter, 00:15.913; 12. 56-Mark Irwin, 00:15.996; 13. 5X-Trent Musk, 00:15.998; 14. 4G-Kent Gardner, 00:16.049; 15. 3T-Tank Brakenberry, 00:16.245; 16. 9-Gary Hayward, 00:16.800; 17. 23-Ralph Brakenberry, 00:16.936
Article Credit: GLTS Staff
Submitted By: Barry Marlow